Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A not-so-chaotic beginning

For the past couple of years, I have been wanting to write more. And I figure that I should probably listen to the same advice I give my students--"the more you write, the more your writing will improve." I actually write a lot, but it's mostly in the form of  formal papers (literary analysis/criticism)...and comments in the margins of student papers. A nonfiction literature class I took this past spring semester rekindled my thoughts of starting a blog. Since I don't have a single writing focus in mind, I thought a blog could be a good way for me to get back into writing and explore different topics.

When I was thinking about starting this blog, I thought back to the final "exam" I assigned my English 10 students a little over a month ago. One of the components of their "yearbook" project was to write about a theme or motif that carried throughout their 10th grade year. So, I thought about themes/motifs that have carried through my year. "Chaos" and "seeking serenity" are motifs that have been present in my life for years now. While I'm sure that I'll explore other topics in this blog, much of my life seems to come back to the  notion of "seeking serenity in a plethora of chaos." (Plethora is one of my favorite words that I decided to throw in there. I'm sure some folks think that my life really is a plethora of chaos.) I like keeping busy, but I also need to learn to relax more.

Thanks for joining me on my journey to more serene living!

No comments:

Post a Comment